Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Faces from the Past

Traveling through the Balkan states I came into the Cathedral in Mostar, Bosnia and caught sight of this poster in the back commemorating the many Franciscans who died during World War 2 and what I can only assume was under the Nazi regime.



Look at the faces. Some of them are as young as their early twenties. I cannot even begin to imagine the courage it took to face the oncoming threat of suffering and death. More so, I cannot imagine living so short a life with having so much left to be done. But I think this is the challenge for all of us. We must realize each day is a gift and simply live this day as our last. Accept it. Take it. Cherish it. Receive it from our Lord and then give it back to him. I think this virtue of living always ready to die will make us saints so very soon. AMDG.

No comments: