Monday, May 11, 2009

Bible in a Year?

I have long been contemplating the reality that my familiarity with Scripture is horrible. Yeah, I'm Catholic but come on, we've embarked on a new day where we should know Scripture as well or better than our Protestant brethren. Heck, we have had it for 2,000 years. :)

I have prayed with Scripture and I am now taking all the Scripture classes but the reality is, my Scripture knowledge is still pretty bad. So following the advice of a recent homilist at the seminary, I've decided to read the whole bible in a year and hopefully continue to read it again and again each year. It only takes 20-30 minutes a day and just imagine what it could do. I imagine this is a good discernment tool as well. That's the reason I mention it here. St. Jerome said something like, "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." So just think about what it might do for your relationship with God.



I remember reading how St. Therese had very few possessions but the one she always carried with her were the Gospels. She knew them so very well and look where she ended up. She did not have a great education, especially when it came to theology, yet she became a Doctor of the Church. Where did she get all that theology? Scripture! Imagine what we can do simply reading and praying with the entire bible. So that's my plan. This is the scheme I am using if you are interested.

AMDG.

No comments: