Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Vocation Story

It's a story of a woman religious but I like vocation stories so much I decided this might be quite helpful anyways. Enjoy.

My World Youth Day pilgrimage to Rome and Pope John Paul II

Sr. Malina Zachman, OP, Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia

The Lord’s call did not come in the form of a loud, audible voice but in a quiet, steady tug on my heart that persisted despite my many attempts to brush it aside. Undoubtedly God opened me up to His will through the grace of staying close to the sacraments, especially the Eucharist and Reconciliation, as well as through my pilgrimage to Rome in the Jubilee year for World Youth Day. Our late Holy Father, John Paul II, was also instrumental in my vocation, as his own life was a living testimony to me of total, selfless love.

My response to this tugging took time, however; four years of college including a semester studying in Rome. It was only gradually that I matured in understanding of the gift of Religious life in the Church and the beauty of giving oneself to the Divine Spouse. As the end of college neared and the next phase of my life approached, I decided to carefully look into different Religious Orders and to be willing to give God my life in this way if that was what He was asking.

I eventually met the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of St. Cecilia and their love for the Church and the Blessed Mary, their monastic traditions and young, vibrant Community life. Devotion to the Blessed Sacrament especially drew me to seek further if this indeed was God’s will for me. So I trusted that, if I was generous with God, He would continue to reveal His plan and, on August 14th, 2005, I entered the Dominican Sisters as a postulant to discern more deeply God’s holy will for my life.

My spiritual director told me prior to entrance that the Lord can never be outdone in generosity. There could be nothing more true! Yes, there are many sacrifices in fully living one’s vocation, particularly in Religious life, but God is so generous and the joy He gives to those who follow Him whole-heartedly is immeasurable, as I can personally testify to as a young Religious Sister.

www.nashvilledominican.org

I love vocation stories that mention JP2 because he was so instrumental in my own vocation as well. I never knew of him in life but only after his death did I finally come to know this great saint of our age. He may have inspired so many in his life but so many more so in his death.

AMDG.

No comments: