Monday, June 29, 2009

Thank you, Father

Please forgive the slowness of the blog lately. As Colin mentioned, this is the time of year when all of us are on our summer assignments. I myself will be leaving this coming Friday for my summer placement in St. Theresa parish in South Lake Tahoe. The pastor Father Marcelo tells me that he'll have some youth ministry work for me to do. When I told my adviser about it he said I'll do fine and that the kids will love me: "You're so uncool, it's cool!" Well, here's hoping! St. John Bosco, pray for me.

Today is the solemnity of Sts. Peter and Paul. Many times people tell me they can't relate to the saints because they seem so far above us in holiness. Well, consider these two: Peter denied our Lord three times after promising to die with Him, and Paul, as Saul of Tarsus, was one of the most vicious of the early Church's persecutors. Today marks the conclusion of the Year of St. Paul proclaimed by the Holy Father last year on this solemnity. It overlaps with the Year of the Priest which began ten days ago, so for your consideration I leave you these articles:

Thank you, Father. Being a priest has its trials just like any vocation. So some time during this year for priests, approach your own parish priest and thank him for being another Christ, and making Christ present to us in the sacrifice of the Mass.

Pope: St. Paul Is a Model Priest.

May you all have a blessed and grace-filled Year of the Priest!

No comments: