Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day of Penance for the Unborn

Today is a day of penance for violations to the dignity of the human person committed through acts of abortion, and of prayer for the full restoration of the legal guarantee of the right to life. Please join us in praying for the end to abortion, the end to a culture that tolerates abortion, and a renewed respect for the beauty and wonder of every human life.



I think one of the ways this will happen is through the media. We've seen movies like Juno, Bella, Waitress, and even Knocked Up that treat abortion as something that just does not sit quite right at the bottom of the stomach. There is also a lot of music. From Nick Cannon's song on how his mother almost aborted him to Common's song on one man's perspective on abortion. I post some of the lyrics below.

I think we must pray, do penance, but we must also act. We must discover ways to get the message, the TRUTH, across, that life, every life, is valuable. Every life is good. As Mother Teresa says something to the effect, "Too many children? That's like saying there are too many flowers in the world."

I reflect on abortion in my own life. I know people who could have been aborted - troubled pregnancies, single parenthood. Abortion is like that huge elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. Yet for my entire life and so many others, it has been hanging over us. You almost have to wonder, who's missing? So today we pray, we fast, and we prepare because tomorrow we go out and continue to meet a world that reject this message of life - that all human life has the right to life. :)

"Knowin you the best part of life do I have the right to take yours
Cause I created you irresponsibly
Subconciously knowin the act I was a part of
The start of somethin, I'm not ready to bring into the world
Had myself believin I was sterile
I look into mother's stomach, wonder if you are a boy or a girl
Turnin this woman's womb into a tomb
But she and I agree, a seed we don't need
You would've been much more than a mouth to feed
But someone, I woulda fed this information I read
to someone, my life for you I woulda had to leave
Instead I lead you to death
I'm sorry for takin your first breath, first step, and first cry
But I wasn't prepared mentally nor financially
Havin a child shouldn't have to bring out the man in me
Plus I wanted you to be raised within a family
I don't wanna, go through the drama of havin a baby's momma
Weekend visits and buyin J's ain't gon' make me a father
For a while bearing a child is somethin I never wanted to do
For me to live forever I can only do that through you
Nerve I got to talk about them ****** with a gun
Must have really thought I was God to take the life of my son
I could have sacrificed goin out
To think my homies who did it I used to joke about, from now on
I'ma use self control instead of birth control
Cause $315 ain't worth your soul
$315 ain't worth your soul
$315 ain't worth it"

AMDG.

No comments: